Segovia is a city full of ancient history, which origin dates back to Celtiberian tribes, who built it in a craggy rock made of limestone. The height of the cliff is over 1000 meters above sea level. The silhouette drawn on the Castilian clean sky has been compared, from the 16th century, to a ship made of stone, waiting for the two rivers that flow on its feet (Eresma and Clamores) to flood the valley, so it can sail to the vast sea of the plateau.
Even to this day the origin of the city remains a mistery. We know for sure that it was inhabited in the pre-roman era. Rome left its indelible mark by building of the Aqueduct. Repopulated in 1088, Segovia gathers centuries of brilliant History. The textile industry and wool trading made the city thrive, layered in two physical and social levels: the fortified city, inhabited by noblemen and clergy, and the suburbs – in the Eresma and Clamores banks – where the productive activity was developed. During the 12th and 17th centuries, this prosperity brings about the building of many churches, convents, strongholds, palaces and other elements belonging to the monumental compound we can still enjoy nowadays. The economical decadence paralyses to a certain extent the artistic development, but favours the preservation of its monumental Patrimony. From the last decades of the 19th century, the city restores its remarkable legacy, and nowadays it is shown proudly to the visitor.
A city to enjoy calmly and to return to, Segovia. It has received every official appreciation for its artistic and monumental richness, for the transparency of its light, for the openness of the atmosphere wrapping it, and for the lushness of the encircling wood that, in contrast to the ochre colour of dry stone, enhances it as a green oasi.
A Real Orden issued in a remote October the 11th of 1884, named the Aqueduct Monumento Histórico Artístico (Historical-artistic monument). This honourable name was given, as years passed by, to several monuments of the city. Finally in 1985 the UNESCO culminated the process in the naming of Segovia as a World Heritage Site.
The Council of Citizen Participation of the city of Segovia emerges as a commitment to citizens to promote democratic participation and transparency in local public affairs, in tune with the constitutional order.
This municipal commitment guides the will to create and consolidate a system of participation appropriate to local democracy, which reinforces the constitutional right to participation in public affairs proclaimed in Article 23 of the Constitution.
The City of Segovia, puts at the disposal of the citizens the following channels of participation:
• Website (www.segovia.es) where you can access, through the section "complaints and suggestions".
• Face-to-face service at the Information Office of the City Council, in Plaza Mayor nº1 and telephone number at 921419818 and tel. 92141988.
• E-mail of Participation Ciudadana email@example.com.
• Citizen Assistance Service, through the mobile device, Green Line Segovia application. The Green Line, www.lineaverdesegovia.com, the way through which citizens can, through their Smartphone, transfer their doubts, complaints or suggestions to the Municipal Administration.
• The Ombudsman's Office as a guarantee of participation, transparency, independence and mediation.
In 2003, the City Council created the Office of the Citizens' Ombudsman's Office as an independent institution responsible for the medium-sized complaints, administrative complaints and conflicts that arise in the relations between citizens and the Municipal Administration. The Ombudsman's mission will be to provide a service of advice, information, care and assistance to citizens with the intention of ensuring maximum compliance with human rights in the field of municipal policy of participatory, responsible, equal and inclusive proximity.
Access to the Ombudsman's Office is free, direct, personalized, independent and free.
You can request an interview through your email firstname.lastname@example.org , at the Town Hall, Plaza Mayor nº1 or by telephone at 92141988.